The LOEL workshop will be held in Vancouver, WA on May 12 from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm at the Vancouver Community Library in the Columbia Room.
Opening the Framework
Connecting open pedagogy and the Information Literacy Framework
Library as Open Education Spring Workshop
Open pedagogy is a significant part of the future of OER. It integrates the 5Rs with proven educational practices while ensuring that the OER ecosystem continues to grow. Participants in this workshop will explore how the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education and open pedagogy can work together to create more authentic learning experiences. We are pleased to invite experts from Threshold Concepts & Information Literacy to join us in exploring the connections between IL and OP.
Silvia Lin Hanick is the First Year Experience Librarian and an Assistant Professor at LaGuardia Community College (CUNY). She would love to talk to you about your dogs.
Amy Hofer is the OER librarian for Oregon’s 17 community colleges. You can visit the Open Oregon Educational Resources website at openoregon.org. By night she is a fiddler and square dance caller.
Information Literacy Summit 2017
If you’re craving more information literacy discussion, the Information Literacy Summit, sponsored by ILAGO, will be held the following day – Saturday, May 13 at WSU Vancouver. Visit ILAGO’s website for full agenda and details.
LOEL Workshop agenda
8:30-9:00 – Pastries and coffee
9:00-9:20 – IL Framework activity
9:20-9:30 – Welcome and introductions
9:30-10:50 – Keynote: IL Framework and Open Educational Practices (OEP) – discussion and activities
10:50-11:00 – BREAK
11:00-12:15 – IL Framework/OEP connection continued…
- Reading: From OER to Open Pedagogy: Harnessing the Power of Open (chapter from Jhangiani R. & Biswas-Diener R. 2017. Open: The Philosophy and Practices that are Revolutionizing Education and Science.
- Crosswalk ACRL IL Framework & OEP
12:15-1:15 – LUNCH
1:15-2:15 – Case studies in OEP – concrete ways to use OEP when teaching IL
- Presentation: Moving from “disposable to open” (Quill West)
- Case studies
- Open pedagogy assignment ideas
2:15-3:00 – Wrap up and next steps
Register for the workshop – it’s free and open to all librarians, regardless of location. If you are a WA librarian, however, keep the below points in mind for travel reimbursement. This applies only to Washington community college librarians. Please register by April 19.
Hilton Vancouver Washington
301 W. 6th Street
Vancouver, WA 98660
P: (360) 993-4500
- To be eligible for hotel reimbursement from the grant, you need to be a Washington community college librarian and be traveling more than 50 miles each way.
- The grant will cover reservations for the night of May 11, 2017 only.
- Please make your reservation by Thursday, 04/20/17; rooms will be released after that date.
- Call 360-993-4500 to make reservation and use 63Q as a code to get group rate. The room rate is $189 per night plus tax for 2 queen beds and $209 plus tax for 1 king bed.
- For those who want to stay for a 2nd night at your own expense, you will be quoted whatever the best available rate; it may be lower or higher or the same as your group rate.
- Travel reimbursement for Washington community college librarians only.
- Mileage is reimbursed at .535 per mile.
- Mileage and hotel expenses will be reimbursed by using the Tacoma Community College (TCC) Invoice Voucher form, itemizing expenses, and attaching receipts. For an example of how to fill out the form, refer to the included spreadsheet tab – LOEL Mileage Example. In addition, please fill out the following hotel expense form. These two forms are required for reimbursement.
- Per diem for meals is not covered by the grant. Breakfast and lunch will be provided at the workshop.
- Reimbursement forms and receipts must be sent/mailed to Anh Tran (email@example.com) by May 26th, 2017.
- Free parking at the library for up to two hours
- On-street parking meter
- Park&Go parking garage for a fee, see this map for reference
- The closest pay-to-park garage is located on the corner of C street and 8th – Broadway Lot #501, 255 E 8th St, Vancouver, WA 98660
- Free parking is also available at the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District Headquarters, 1007 E. Mill Plain Blvd, Vancouver WA 98663. This option would require a 10 minute walk across the I-5 overpass to the Vancouver Community Library, however.